Playout has always been an important pillar of our solutions portfolio from day one. The playout solutions are available as Live Production PCR (just:live) and 24/7 Automated MCR playout (just:play) variants, and share our template based real-time graphics capabilities. just:live was designed to meet the fast-paced, time-critical demands of Live TV broadcast, including news, sports, talk shows and live events, whereas just:play was designed to meet the automated 24/7 broadcast playout demands of TV stations, with state-of-the-art scheduling that can be planned and executed weeks in advance, live input switching, automatic Gaps and Overlays detection and the support for redundant playout scenarios. Given its industry-standard client-server architecture, our robust playout real-time core engine – just:out – is designed to handle live as well as continuous 24/7 playout without interruption, combining top-notch usability and industry-standard system reliability. From the licensing perspective a maximum of 3 video layers, 7 FX layers of real-time graphics and 3 events layers (to accommodate external triggers) can be added additionally to the base license. Amongst many usability improvements and stability enhancements that will benefit daily operations, version 3.0 of just:live and just:play feature full SDK and UHDp60 playout support for qualified AJA and Blackmagic Design devices and introduces just:control as the new main user interface to unify the control user interface for both ingest and playout solutions.
Full compatibility with macOS Big Sur will be announced as part of an upcoming version once all third-party components will be officially available from the respective vendors. The same applies to the support of Apple Silicon based M1 Macs.
Our development team is working hard to ensure feature-parity with former versions and we would kindly ask you to get in touch with either Peter or Manuel before upgrading to version 3.0 for new and especially existing customers.
Combined Workflow Solutions: MCR and PCR Ingest / Playout Bundles
Based on the success of our stand-alone solutions, we have remained true to our TV Channel in a Box philosophy and have worked on the further development of our combined MCR and PCR workflow solutions, which combine ingest and playout on one machine and can also control both application instances thanks to the unified user interface just:control. Our team will be happy to discuss your requirements to propose a tailored solution that builds on existing software components thus offering a future-oriented investment protection.
just:play/live version 3.0 and just:in multi version 5.0 can now run on a single mac, sharing the same Blackmagic Design video device. Combined with the xMac mini Server rackmount enclosure from Sonnet Technologies and Apple’s Mac mini (Intel now and M1 to follow), this compact MCR solution is the perfect fit to run a single playout channel (video + graphics) including live-input and one ingest channel on the same hardware. All controlled by our new unified user interface called just:control to provide the best user experience.
WARNING: This version requires a valid v3.0 activation code and ALL previously generated v2.x codes will NOT work. Please contact TOA sales team for new activation codes under firstname.lastname@example.org
This software requires Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) and Intel based Macs only!
MacPro5,1 is not supported anymore and this is the last version which support MacMini6,2 and MacMini7,1
AJA / BMD Video Devices: Always use the latest driver release.
Using a device from BMD for play-out you MUST run just:out and just:control on separate machines, otherwise audio dropouts will occur while generating the Poster Frames or while working on Finder level.
Version 3.0 Changes - just:live & just:play
- This version brings official support for macOS Catalina and Big Sur. Please make sure to use AJA driver version 16 or higher and the latest driver version from BMD depending on the video device used.
- We unified the formerly separately available control interfaces into one common application, namely just:control. Whether you‘re using just:live just:play or just:in: all ToolsOnAir applications can now be controlled by using a common user interface.
- There is a Group function available in just:control, which allows tasks like to end a live event (jump to next) or to start/stop a recording to be executed by a single mouse click using the same interface.
- Full SDK support for video devices from AJA and Blackmagic Design provides much deeper integration with the given video devices, which is the foundation for new features and functions like future multi-card and multiple out support on a single machine.
- Support for higher frame rates such as p60 and higher resolutions such as UHD is now possible and thanks to the reduced number of software components used to access the hardware, the stability is further increased and the channels setup vastly improved.
- Many improvements have been added to the user interfaces. It is now possible to open and collapse parts of the interface like the Library and the Inspector using keyboard shortcuts. This also works with the completely new full-size Trim window which now also supports JKL control. Further improvements are the ability to sort media in the Library by every kind of metadata and the configurable timecode and audio bar overlays of the “On Air” and “Coming Next” windows.
- Stability and speed improvements as well as several bugfixes allow to use the just:play interface continuously at full speed without the need to restart just:connect from time to time. And using just:live it is now possible to load approximately 5x more movies into the Workbench compared to v2.x, using the same amount of RAM for caching and pre load.